Train your puppy to a leash!
The earlier you start to teach your baby to walk under control, the easier it will be for you to cope with it after. We do not recommend using a harness immediately. First, the puppy has not yet strengthened the corset, and the design of the straps may violate its correct formation. Secondly, the harness is not always convenient to use, and getting used only to it, the dog will turn a walk or a trip to the vet, into torture. And, third, if you plan to take part in dog shows or competitions in the future, then it is necessary to accustom to the leash.
Before you start training, please note that a large percentage of success depends on the correct collar. If it rubs or is easily removed, or clings to the hair, causing discomfort, then the dog will resist with all its nature. And no amount of shouting, punishing, persuading will be successful.
Each breed has its own collar
For decorative breeds, the best option is a light classic: leather or textile. Toy Terriers, Yorkshire Terriers, Shih Tzus, Japanese Hinam, Chinese crested, Chihuahua and even dachshunds do not need iron chains on their necks and models with spikes. You can choose the most suitable dog collar from the comfort of your home by simply visiting the website of the largest online store in Russia Puffy-shop.ru and looking at the catalog here.
Before you start walking on a leash, take a few days to adapt to the neck strap. Show the baby a new thing, play with it together with him, and then quietly put it on your neck (if you can do it unnoticeably). The ideal distance between the collar and the body is two of your fingers. Increase the period of wearing a new accessory gradually. If the dog is nervous, then put off trying. 2 months is the most suitable age for training.
The main thing in a leash is strength!
We do not recommend buying a roulette for getting used to it. The leash, figuratively speaking, at first should become an extension of your hand. The puppy will resist such control: some just lie down on the ground and refuse to go, and there are those who try to chew the strap, show attempts to break it, constantly pulling, get mad, jump. All these tricks of the “disobedient” leash must withstand, while not constraining your actions. The mechanism on automatic structures can fail.
A common mistake of inexperienced dog owners is to let the puppy run around with a leash trailing behind it. In no case should you do this! The baby can not only get scared, but also get confused, which is much more dangerous. Attempts to nibble on a new thing stop not with shouts, but with distraction, give a treat, a favorite toy. Once you enter the leash into the walk, repeat the lessons of controlled gait daily, let the puppy get used to it as to his favorite blouse.
1. Don’t let the dog control you. Stop all attempts to pull you along. On the contrary, guide her movements by the leash, accustoming her to obedience.
2. Pulling the pet, measure your strength, too sharp and strong jerk can lead to deformation of the trachea. It is better to teach the commands “can’t”, “Stop”, “Foo”, “No” and encourage for obedience. Over time, he will understand that the pace of the step is not set by him, that it is not necessary to pull the owner, and that you should go next to him, from the side.
3. Gradually introduce walking on a long leash, teaching the baby to return to you at the first call. Here, do not overdo it with a treat.
4. Never caress, hug, or tease a puppy behind the ear when it refuses to follow commands or refuses to walk properly. In this case, the most effective way of training is to completely ignore its behavior. Of course, with constant control of his behavior on your part. Believe me, he will get tired of knocking on closed doors.
5. During the period of habituation, walk on a leash for 5 to 20 minutes, gradually increasing the time.
6. If you do not have the patience, endurance, or self-discipline, contact a specialist for help.